Sunday, May 2, 2010

Lizzie The Maltese Lizard

I am Lizzy the lizard and I am a reptile because my skin is scaly. I eat ants and small insects. I need the sun to keep me warm because I am a cold-blooded animal. I hide away during the winter season as the weather is too cold for me, but you can see me again in your garden at springtime and during the warm summer months. I lay eggs in secret nooks and crannies in rubble walls to be safe from my enemies because the shell of my eggs is very soft. My enemies are snakes, birds, cats and also people especially children who catch me, break off my tail and throw stones at me. I have feelings just like you and I hurt when you attack me. Besides, I have done nothing wrong to you – I am and want to be your friend.

I am a member of the dinosaur family but I am much smaller. The word dinosaur means “terrible lizard” but I am not a terrible creature at all. In Malta I am protected by law because you find my species only on this island and so I am known as “Maltese Wall Lizard.” I am a male lizard so my back is bright green with black spots, my tummy is pale and my neck is yellow. My female friends are brown and they are smaller in size.

There are many other species of lizards and the ones that live on Filfla are black. Sometimes, you can see reptiles running up your walls at night and these are very similar to us but they are not lizards. They are geckoes.

If you want to be friends with me, feed me small juicy tomato bits regularly when you see me in your garden and I will trust you and eat out of your hand! I am happy to be a lizard because I enjoy the warm sunshine and the quiet and peaceful environment of your gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment